About Me

My photo
I have discovered it is really hard to be Queen in a household with 3 princesses! Somebody is always borrowing my tiara! Well in between hunting my stuff down I am the proclaimed Queen in the Land of fluff (where my husband swears one day that he will die from glitter lung (you get the picture!) Besides that I am a dieting, exercising, crafting, biblestudying kind of girl.
Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Best Coconut Pie Ever!

I have been on a quest for the perfect coconut pie recipe! You see I started this quest when I married my hubby and found out that his favorite pie was coconut, and yes - I tried my mother in laws recipe - and no it did not turn out for me. (No I do not think she was mean and gave me an incorrect recipe, or left something out on purpose but my mother in law is one of "those" wonderful cooks who cooks without recipes!! Ahhh - it's like dr.s without borders but this one give all us ladies a bad reputation who have to have a recipe box!!!)

So here at last after several failed attempt is the very best, successful coconut pie recipe:
(you really should imagine you are hearing a drum roll here)

3 cups milk
3 egg yolks (save whites for meringue)
Sprinkle of salt
3/4 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
Approximately ¼ cup coconut flakes (I don't measure the coconut, Norma says)
Prepared pie crust

Save out a little milk. Put the rest of the milk in a double boiler and heat. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks. Mix in the milk you saved and salt. Add sugar and stir. Add cornstarch and beat. Stir mixture into hot milk.



Pour the above mixture into a prepared and lightly browned pie shell. My husband prefers that I top this pie with meringue but you could also top with cool whip for a coconut cream pie. I sprinkle shredded coconut on top of my meringue that toast as the meringue browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails