About Me

My photo
I have discovered it is really hard to be Queen in a household with 3 princesses! Somebody is always borrowing my tiara! Well in between hunting my stuff down I am the proclaimed Queen in the Land of fluff (where my husband swears one day that he will die from glitter lung (you get the picture!) Besides that I am a dieting, exercising, crafting, biblestudying kind of girl.
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Housework is art???


"Good housekeeping is part of the art of living" Albert Hadley
Take a moment and think about that statement. I know I have! I was reading the other day and came across the above quote and it stopped me in my tracks!

Is housekeeping or housework part of the art of living?
Well Webster's defines art as being: 1) : fine arts (2) : one of the fine arts (3) : a graphic art 5 a archaic : a skillful plan b : the quality or state of being artful 6 : decorative or illustrative elements in printed matter

Well if Art can be defined (definition 5) as a skillful plan, let's rethink the above quote: substituting the definition for the word Art. "Good housekeeping is part of the skillful plan of living" if that is true, what is your skillful plan for living?
How is the quality of your life? How do you live? Do you live well? Do you treat you and your family with the luxuries of a clean house, fluffy towels, good food?

I know my housework can quickly overtake me (especially during the summer time!) if I am not paying attention, and have a plan! However without me paying attention my kitchen could quickly end up looking like this:


The above is definitely not my definition of living well!!


The book "How to be a Perfect Housewife" by Anthea Turner states: "Your home should be somewhere you look forward to spending time. It should be a haven from the stresses of the world. You should be proud to have your friends round for dinner and they should leave impressed by your comfortable, clean, homely home."

I really enjoy reading books like the ones above on the skill or art of being a housewife or instructive books or websites like the Fly lady's . I do believe one can always learn a better, easier way to clean, cook, etc.. I find that attitude determines the quality of the work more than anything. By reading books on the subject, it helps my attitude! It reminds me this stuff I do blesses my family, makes my home a haven for me and my family. A place that I can throw open the door and bless other people by inviting them in to be. Also it reminds me of the value of cleaning, cooking, it really does take skill to do it well!! It's the difference between serving your family a frozen pizza, or serving them pasta with pancetta. Both meals would fill their belly but one meal might be better enjoyed.
The Fly lady ask on her website : "Are YOU living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) like Franny in the pink sweats? Do you feel overwhelmed, overextended, and overdrawn? Hopeless and you don't know where to start?"

Well I do not know about you but her description of living in CHAOS does not sound like she is describing living well. Her website encourages woman to have a skillful plan on turning their life around. I encourage you if you do not have a plan to look at the Fly lady's website, or one of her books or Anthea Turner's book. They will make you laugh, might make you feel a little guilty (I know from experience!), and encourage you!

Dolly Parton has a great song for anyone who needs a kick in the pants called "Better get to living" the following is an excerpt

" Your life’s a wreck your house is a mess,
And your wardrobe is way outdated,
All your plans just keep on falling through,
Overweight and underpaid,
Under appreciated,
Am no guru but I tell you this I know is true

Chorus:
You’d better get to living, givin
A little more thought about been a little more willing,
To make a better way (make a better Way)
Don’t sweat the small stuff, keep your chin up,
Just hang tough, and If it get too rough,
Fall on your knees and pray, and do that everyday
Then you’ll get to livin" "

Now doesn't Dolly just say it all!

What is your plan for living well?
Do you think housekeeping is an art form?

4 comments:

  1. It never gets done without a plan, IMO. Everyone's plan will be unique to them, based upon the time they have, the age of the children and the families schedule. Everyone feels better and functions better in a reasonably neat environment, don't you think?! Great Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love Fly Lady's site but haven't been there for a long, long time. Life got too busy, I suppose. Think I'll pay her another visit.

    I do okay with the day-to-day housekeeping. My problem falls in the 'let's get organized' department. Quite frankly, many of the suggestions by the pros just don't work for my family. I've made great strides in getting my home better organized, but I still have a way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm going to get to living. We love Dolly!!! I'm going to put in that CD and start cleaning. Better get off this computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the deal with me. I go for a long period of time not getting stressed over house cleaning. I mean there's SO much more to life right? Then this weekend, it all crashes down on me and I have a melt-down on the hubby and kids - "I NEED HELP!" I tell them! Turns out, I am a happier person when things are organized. But I don't like obsessing over it...does that make me house work schizophrenic? Hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails