About Me

My photo
I have discovered it is really hard to be Queen in a household with 3 princesses! Somebody is always borrowing my tiara! Well in between hunting my stuff down I am the proclaimed Queen in the Land of fluff (where my husband swears one day that he will die from glitter lung (you get the picture!) Besides that I am a dieting, exercising, crafting, biblestudying kind of girl.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What is your purpose as a mom?

What is your purpose as a mom? You might be real quick in answering this, or you might be thinking, What do I mean exactly by "purpose"?

Purpose is defined by Webster dictionary as:

Definition of PURPOSEFUL

1
: having a purpose: asa : meaningful <purposeful activities>b : intentional <purposeful ambiguity>
2
: full of determination purposeful>
pur·pose·ful·ly adverb
pur·pose·ful·ness noun


So I ask you again, what is your "purpose" as a mom?

We went and watched the movie "Courageous" this past weekend. (see movie poster below)


"Courageous" is a great movie that challenges the men of today to stand up and be Fathers. I loved this movie. However one line that talked about are you being "Purposeful" in fathering or in my mind I switched the word to "parenting" or "mothering" your child?

So I went home and looked up the definition to purposeful. Was I parenting my child by being meaningfull (definition: having a meaning or purpose, full of meaning or significant) and two was I being intentional (definition: done by intention or design.) (by the way intention means: a determination to act in a certain way or resolve)

So what are you as a parent, mom, dad, or both maybe-

What are you by intention or design teaching or conveying or modeling for your child that has meaning, purpose and is full of significance?

I know for me, this has sent me back to the drawing board to look at
what I am doing:
1. Intentionally or by design?
2. The time spent each week to "Intentionally" convey or teach this purpose -is it enough time, or is more time needed to devote to this?
3. Is what I am trying to purposefully teach my children does it has meaning? Is it "Significant"?
4. Am I living out that "significant" or meaningful lesson in my own life? (after all if it is important enough for them, is it not important enough for me?)

Which to really give the time to live out what I want to be "purposeful" to my children to know. To convey to their hearts the significance and God. I need to focus on what the bible instructs in Deuteronomy 6:4-9
"4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.[a] 5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates."

It's a day in day out activity. I am to model to my children how amazing God is, how I stand in Awe of what a mighty God we serve. How to love others through actions and deed, how to forgive other when our heart is bruised, how to give, how to put others first. How to glorify him, how to praise him, how to love a husband, how to be a mother, how to be a daughter, how to be sister, how to be a friend. I fall onto my knees when I realize what an awesome job I have been entrusted to. That God trust me enough to show and teach those things to my 3 precious daughters. Me, an imperfect, shallow, person to take part in this. I guess when your children who are always watching see your flaws, can really see the Glory of God when he shines through such imperfection and weakness of our own humanity.

I would love to hear what God has placed on your heart to purposefully teach or model to your own children? Or what you wished you would have been more purposefully of teaching?

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post. Hope you don't mind if I include it in my Saturday Shoutouts this week.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails